Saturday, February 21, 2009

"Winter Clouds Passing" ©

This scene is so typical of California, with the exception of the clouds. We have been treated to an extraordinary display of storm clouds this month.

At night it's tough to shoot a painting this large, so I backed off and shot from a distance. My easel is Oak, so you can tell this painting isn't as "hot" as it appears. I did want to post this piece as best I could just so you a glimpse of the concept and what I have been painting for the last couple of days. Painting on linen again I am reminded of the elegance and again wonder why I drift away.

Oil on Linen, 20" X 24"

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Very nice... So what do you do with you large paintings? Do you have them professionally photographed?
It was nice painting with you and the others yesterday. Thanks for including me. I find it so interesting to see how we all do things so differently!... and choose different views to paint too!

Laura Wambsgans said...

Hi Marian, It was just great to see you at the paint out and I can't wait to hear about Mexico!
Answering your question on taking photos: I have a spot outside the back door, that if I lean the painting against the BBQ at just the right time of day I can get a fairly decent photo. Usually I paint till 9 or 10pm and the BBQ deal won't fly. I keep the lousy photos of everything for my records. When I build my dream studio I'll have a photo spot all set up, perfect lighting, black wall....oh it will be grand. Someday.

Site Meter