Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Sunset At Vasquez Rocks" ©


Just before jumping on the plane to San Antonio last week I received a phone call from Senator Steve Knight's office congratulating me on being selected for the 2013-2014 "California Contemporary Art Collection" exhibit at the capitol building.  I could hardly pay attention at the Salon International reception at the Green House Gallery, thinking about the canvas waiting for me at home, knowing I need to ship this piece to the capitol by Friday.  The painting is very close to being done, now is when I need someone to take the brush away from me.  It's so hard to back away from the easel......

Oil on Canvas, 30" X 40"

3 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Congratulations! Big news all around. And this one is gorgeous. I know the feeling and declare to myself, "Step away from the easel." LOL

Docent said...

Laura, I'm wondering if you started this canvas BEFORE going to Texas? If not, then it means that you painted this big canvas in just a couple of days! Bravo! Joy

Laura Wambsgans said...

Ok I have stepped away from the easel after tweaking most of the day. :) Dear Docent, I started the actual painting on Monday morning but worked out all of the planning on the plane. I used quick drying paint so that I could apply a coat of Gamvar before framing and shipping. The painting looks great, thank goodness, as I didn't know how the varnish would adhere to the paint full of Liquin. The Gamvar will allow the painting to continue to dry yet the colors will be as vibrant as when it was painted. I should be able to ship it in the morning as promised.....YAY!

Site Meter