Friday, August 15, 2008

"Dana Fork Rocks" ©



Brushing off the tiny winged bugs and bits of leaves from this painting I was reminded of the lesson that it burned into my brain. Again this is Charles Waldman's teaching in action. Charles stressed using the brush to it's potential. Pushing hard to scrub in the beginning wash of oil, keeping the paint very thin. Then when placing your sunlight into the painting, load the brush with lots of juicy paint and with passion make the stoke of sunlight, never to to touched again. Usually it's temping to go over a brush stroke here and there, softening edges, even noodling. This act weakens the painting. Squinting down at my subject, the rocks, I was able to "see" the brilliant sunlight shape on the granite rock and with one stroke place the light into the painting. I would have never been so bold before watching and listening to Charles during his demo. This painting will remain in my studio to remind me to paint bold, strong and confident.

Oil on Linen panel, 8" X 10"

1 comment:

Karen said...

It's wonderful for me to have found this painting and your description of brushwork. I have been thinking of (and trying to!) implement that idea of leaving the mark alone a lot lately. It's hard to do, but the strength of your marks in this painting would convince anyone of the value.
Beautiful.
Dana Fork Creek is also quite amazing in its colors to me!

Karen

Site Meter