Sunday, August 08, 2010

"Study for Chasing The Sun" ©


At the Christensen workshop, Scott talked a lot about finding the "good idea". I painted "Chasing The Sun" early in June and since have reworked the sky and foreground a couple of times. The painting has a glimmer of a good idea, too much to abandon the piece. In search of the "good idea" I painted a small study of the large painting, changing the composition a bit and the palette totally. Two things I am seeing as I post this is the path in the foreground needs to be brought closer to the viewer and the shift between the distant mountain and the closer mountain is too great. I'll look at it with new eyes in the morning, searching for the "good idea".
Oil on panel, 6" X 8"

2 comments:

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Laura,
Your paintings are beautiful!!! and ohhhh, you took the Scott Christensen workshop??!!! I am SO jealous, I would love to go and do that! I look forward to hearing more about it,
Joan

Laura Wambsgans said...

Hi Joan, Scott's workshop is fantastic, well planned and he gives you all you can take. His wife Kristy is a ball of energy, fun and very kind. Kristy's assistant Heidi is superwoman and helped us all. Scott even had Bart Walker assisting teaching, who was wonderful. If you ever get the chance I can't push enough for you to go. Thanks for looking! Laura

Site Meter