Monday, January 19, 2009

"Canyon Creek" ©



Music drifts down the canyon as the creek runs down the wash. The Sierra Madre Canyon has it's own unique culture, one of sharing, there is a "free" wall, when you want rid of an item just place it on the "free" wall and another soul will make use of it. The residents stick together in time of need, illness or just an extra place to park. Once every few years they fight fire as it threatens their existence. In this little painting I was looking to capture the sunlight busting through the thick canyon trees, lighting the tiny cabins porch all the while thinking of these things.

Oil on panel, 5" X 7"

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

This is one of those "ohhhhhhh" paintings!!
In fact, I THINK I know where this is!! One day a few weeks back I went up in my new car to "see the snow" and saw a view just like this on the way down toward town. In fact, I stopped, turned back and took photos of it.
It might not be the SAME scene, but it's one just like it and I liked it for the same reason you described about the sunlight! You painted this beautifully!

Laura Wambsgans said...

I'll pay you later, just kidding. Thanks Marian for the very, very kind words on this one. I wonder if it's the same spot? We'll have to compare. Keep the brush wet! Laura

Site Meter