Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Whitney Canyon Path" ©

So many times I am emailed about blog postings with questions on how I have painted a piece and almost without fail I tell you what I am going to change. That image never seems to make it onto the blog because I have moved on and am so excited about the next painting. With this piece I took a painting that I started months ago and did what I so often talk about in those emails. By comparing the images you can see how I added value, brought in more color harmony and more interest in every area. I also knocked out the stripy path and broke up the middle field with little grasses. In the morning I'll see other issues, of course, are we ever truly done?
(above is the old version, that is gone forever)

Oil on Canvas, 20" X 24"

4 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Makes all the difference! I have paintings all around hanging that I now want to adjust. Guess I'll just pull 'em down and make those changes b/c you've shown how powerful they can be. This just draws you in and holds you. Lovely!

Marian Fortunati said...

I agree totally with Debbi...

Great job, Laura... As always!!!

The new one is much stronger than the original.

Laura Wambsgans said...

Oh, I am glad the response has been positive to showing the before and after. I just finished a book about Claude and Camille, a historical fiction, and he often ran out of canvas and just painted over paintings, which is another good use of paintings that didn't quite hit the mark.

Annieofbluegables said...

very wonderful improvement. I love your work.
~a

Site Meter