Tuesday, October 23, 2012

"Cottonwood Cove, Lopez Lake" ©

   


Painting very early in the morning on the edge of Cottonwood Cove the only company I had were several mule deer and about ten wild turkeys.  When I was packing up my gear I turned around to see  two large birds warming their wings in the morning sun.  It was difficult to decide if they were Condors, Turkey Vultures or one of the other 150 species of birds that inhabit the lake.  I was reminded of the lesson to keep a closer eye on what is going on around me while painting in the bushes.

Oil on Source Tek Linen Panel,  12" X 16"



Maybe one of you know what type of bird these are?  They were huge!

4 comments:

Karen Winters said...

I'm guessing turkey vultures, Laura. I've seen them around other lakes in the SLO area. It's hard to tell without seeing their faces, though.

Nice job on the painting!

Karen

Laura Wambsgans said...

Thanks Karen, your id of the turkey vultures is the most common comment and I think you are all right on!

Marian Fortunati said...

We saw lots of turkey vultures up in Tomales Bay... They looked a lot like these guys...

mwhitson said...

Hi Laura!
Yes, definitely turkey vultures. When I lived on the vineyard in Edna Valley, they would spread their wings like that on the vines to get warm. They are prolific around here. p.s. I love my "Tempting Trail" gift. It's hung right above my bedside table...

Site Meter