Monday, June 23, 2008

"Early Morning, San Clemente State Park"


Last week I was painting in San Clemente, as one of 128 painters in the local plein air competition. We were allowed to submit 2 pieces on Saturday to be presented for awards and sale during the evening gala. "Early Morning" was my first painting of the week and one of my submissions. It was a tough decision, having absolutely no experience in this type of venue, to pick 2 paintings out of 9.
During the week I learned several things everyday. From small stuff, sand makes a great brush holder to larger discoveries, how to paint a wave. It was a week of painting and learning. The artists didn't connect during the week, somehow I hadn't expected to be so alone. This gave me time to reflect, think and absorb.
The artist members of the San Clemente Art Association that produce the competition did a great job in organizing the event and gala evening. Actually they wore many hats and worked terribly hard. Pam Hill, Steve Kell and Annemarie Hall were the Paint San Clemente Event Committee, the words "thank you" are not enough for all of their time and effort.
San Clemente is a beautiful seaside village. After spending a week immersed in the area a description would have to include, red tile roofs, white walls, trains, surfers, palm trees and friendly folks.
Oil on Linen, 11" X 14"
sold

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Glad you're back!!
This is a real beauty! I imagine all of yours were. I hope you had a nice time even though you were somewhat isolated.
We drove down to San Diego on Friday to visit our daughter and I thought about stopping by to "harrass" you but didn't even know where to start looking. Besides by the time we got to San Clemente we'd be stuck in traffic for about 3 hours and wanted just to be in SD!
Anyhow... Welcome back!

Laura Wambsgans said...

Thank you Marian, It was a week full of beauty and not much else. Finding me would have been hard, I was usually up some canyon or standing on the edge of a bluff from 7am - 8pm. I am looking forward to seeing you and your painting at the CAC show. Keep cool and a wet brush!

Site Meter