Tuesday, January 08, 2008

"Sierra Snow II" ©

Usually an artist would avoid a big dark patch in the middle of a composition. This little study was all about trying to capture the color temperature change in the gully where the snow was blocked from the sun. There is enough information here to create a larger studio piece, which is one of the benefits to small plein air studies. In a larger painting I would move the gully over and play up the lit brush to help direct the viewer through the piece.

Oil on canvas, 6" X 8"


Purchase from the artist

2 comments:

Barbara Pask said...

Hi Laura, First time to visit your blog. Your work is just beautiful. You're a very accomplished plein air painter. I struggle when I do paint outside, it's a bit overwhelming. I'm finding I prefer to stay inside and paint still lifes, too cold here anyway to venture out, lol. I'll check back. Take care, Barb

Laura Wambsgans said...

Smart lady, staying inside. Painting out is overwhelming and not always successful but that is the challege of the process and we learn so much it's worth it. Thanks for finding me and looking. I'll keep trying to improve. Laura

Site Meter