Thursday, August 14, 2008

"Tuolumne River" ©


I traveled up to Tuolumne Meadows early so that my sea level body could acclimate to the high altitude and my artistic eye could adjust to the light and palette of the landscape. Hunkered down in a grove of pine trees across the meadow from Lembert Dome I was in the "zone" painting away happily. When a gentleman walked up, I don't know how he found me in the trees, and said "nice painting". I asked him if he painted and he said "a little" with a shrug. I explained that I had come up for a workshop and smiling he said "well that might be with me". My head swung around and with disbelief I asked if he was Charles Waldman? With that we laughed and introduced ourselves to each other. He left me to paint but returned shortly and painted too. How lucky was I to have the chance to watch a real master paint right in front of me and this was before the workshop! And what a humble fellow to say he painted a little. This painting was my first piece finished along the "Tuolumne River".
Oil on Linen/panel, 8" X 10"

No comments:

Site Meter