Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"Pico Canyon Morning II" ©



Today I painted Pico Canyon Morning in the studio on a larger canvas then yesterdays "tiny" panel. I pushed and pulled color, rearranged the composition to help with the depth of the painting. The main goal was to have the viewer feel as if they could walk down the trail to the distant tree. If this painting can be finished off well, it will be part of the upcoming "Chasing Open Spaces III" exhibit, which requires that the views are fairly accurate, otherwise I would have changed the shape of the distant tree. I am already anxious to return to Pico Canyon.

Oil on canvas, 16" X 20"

1 comment:

Marian Fortunati said...

Beautiful as usual. I'm struck with the grey-green of the distant tree which I believe gives it the distance you are seeking.
I'm always learning from you... or trying..
How do you do "sky holes"??? Do you paint the tree over the sky or paint the holes afterwards or a little of both? Are holes generally lighter or darker than the background?

Site Meter