Monday, October 20, 2008

"Pacific Sunset" ©


Recently I was asked what are the advantages of blogging small paintings? This painting is a perfect example of one of the benefits, allowing me to experiment with a Gamblin medium, Neo Megilpm without investing a ton of time or materials. Clouds seemed like a good subject to make use of the silky consistency that the Neo Megilp gives the paint. In a couple of weeks I'll be down in Laguna Beach painting in John Cosby's workshop, so today I practiced a "Pacific Sunset".
Oil on panel, 5" X 7"

2 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS!!!

What a treat!.. a workshop with John Cosby. I look forward to hearing about it.

Egad ..........Neo Megilp...... I never have heard of that.... is it like liquin in that it allows the paint to go on smoothly and dry more quickly or... just extends it or what.... AND why in the heck did they give it a name that sounds like a caveman invented it???

Laura Wambsgans said...

You might like this stuff Marian, Neo Meglip is a soft silky gel. A 21st century formuation of the Old Masters medium, also called Maroger medium. You can also thin the Neo Meglip with Gamsol for layering during the early stages of a painting. I am just starting a 30 X 40 commission of a duck family and wanted to be familiar with the medium so that I can create the water in many layers of thin paint, then the ducks will be painted thick and juicy. My intention is that the duck family will become the focus and yet clearly be floating on a pond. Finally the highlights on the water will be placed to support the composition in really juicy medium thin paint. At least that is the grand plan!

Site Meter