Monday, January 16, 2012

"Frontenay Gate" ©

This coming weekend is the opening of the "Impressions From France" exhibit at the Segil Gallery in Monrovia. I was digging though the piles of paintings looking for the best pieces for the show and came across this small plein air piece I painted my first day in France. It's amazing how the memories of that day come flooding back when I look at this little piece. It started to rain at one point and a horse came up to the gate, nuzzling my backpack that I had tucked in the trees to get it out of the rain. Then a lady that lived nearby and offered me a free horse, how I was to get a horse home to California I have no idea. But you see how meaningful the paintings created on location become to artists. Meanwhile in the studio I am working on a large piece for a solo show in April. It will show up here on the blog in a couple of days.

Oil on panel, 8" X 10"

1 comment:

Scott Ruthven said...

Beautiful painting Laura. I cherish the memories of painting each plein air piece. It is a different relationship than with studio pieces for sure.

Site Meter