Monday, April 08, 2013

"Lazy River" ©


Last minute I jumped into this painting hoping to get it done by midnight to enter in the CAC Waterscapes exhibit.  Once a painting buddy, Rod Edwards, told me that "green" paintings were the hardest of all.  The difficulty was pulling off the different values and temperatures with only the greens. Years later, Scott Christensen explained to me that you can't have a green tree without "reds" within the greens.  Boy, did he nail that one.  So to begin this piece I started out with a Rembrandt Transparent Red Oxide wash, leaving bits here and there within the distant trees.  It's a great tool to give the viewer the illusion that they are seeing into the forest and provided that "red" bounce for the greens.  

Oil on Canvas,  16" X 20"

3 comments:

Marian Fortunati said...

You constantly amaze me. This is great and I'm sure it will be a welcome and beautiful relief from all of the seascapes ....

Lori Quarton said...

Just want to thank you. I stumbled upon your blog regarding the John Cosby workshops as I'm considering taking one. They sound great. Your paintings are lovely!

Laura Wambsgans said...

Lori, I know you will have a good experience with John. He knows his stuff and how to impart it to the students. Yet, he is low key and funny at the same time. Thank you for the nice comment, too.

Thank you Marian for always supporting my efforts.....

Site Meter