Monday, December 02, 2013

"Nuestra Sra de Belén" 18th Century Sculpture at Mission Carmel


Today is the entry deadline for the California Art Clubs exhibit, "California's Heritage: The Mission Trail." I decided to enter at the last minute and painted this sculpture from a digital image I captured last May during the Carmel plein air event.  On a break from painting I slipped into the Carmel mission to explore what I had heard was one of the most beautiful of the 21 missions.  This sculpture display of the Virgin was the one thing above all on the property that I wanted to paint, so I photographed her and filed it away.   As a landscape painter it's hard to justify slipping into another subject area and yet the call for entries from CAC opened the door.

Oil on canvas, 20" X 16" 

2 comments:

Debbi Smith Rourke said...

Beautiful and inspiring. Lovely job. What a way to step out into a new direction. You go girl! xoxo

Unknown said...

Beautiful and inspiring. Lighting For Artwork

Site Meter