Thursday, February 05, 2009

"Castaic Lake, Morning"



Exploring compositions in a small format allows for a quick decision as to whether or not a particular view is worth painting on a large canvas. I think this view from an early morning walk along the shore of Castaic Lake has possibilities. Note to artists: This piece was painting on canvas panel, versus my favorite slick wood panel. The canvas caused the brush to stall, little pin holes of white were a distraction and photographing it was a real challenge with the canvas weave catching all sources of light. Can you guess I prefer the wood? oh yeah.

Oil on panel, 5" X 7"

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Laura, Even with your reservations about the surface, it's a beautiful piece nonetheless!
May I ask what type of panels you usually prefer? I too like the panels/smoother surfaces over canvas, and am always on the hunt for the perfect one!

Laura Wambsgans said...

Hi Karen, Good question. The little board that is really pleasing to work on is called Houston Art Gessoed Art Board, acid free, primed and ready to paint. The site to purchase the boards is www.houstonart.com. I wouldn't advise using these boards for paintings much larger then 8" X 10" because no doubt the larger boards would at some point warp. It's a very slick hard surface, almost like painting on your palette. I have passed them out at paint outs and everyone moans that they can't get the paint to work for them. Maybe just buy one to try and see how it works for you. Good luck and thanks for looking at my blog. Laura

Karen said...

Thanks so much for that info! I'm going to order today, and will let you know how they work.

Karen said...

p.s. I just looked at the Houston Art site, and I realize that I have some of these panels in my studio right now. You're right, it is such a slick surface...I wish they were a tiny bit thicker...I think the ones I have are already a bit warped. :(
Thanks again!

Site Meter